Friday, August 13, 2010



Guess which one is the turkey?
What an amazing breakfast Elaine prepares. But, you have to wait until 9 am to get it. So I sacrificed two hours of riding time so that the beast in me can get fed. And what a country smorgasbord. With belly full, I continued along highway 1 to Eureka through the giant redwood forest. What a visual smorgasbord. I am ecstatic. I am starting to feel more comfortable through the twisties but I must be careful not to become overconfident.

This is what I remember from my early lessons in the sixties with old Yvon Du Hamel, who operated a riding school at that time: When you are on the race course you can push the limits, because everyone is going in the same direction and focusing on the same thing. When you are on the public road you should never exceed 80% of your skill level, leaving 20% for evasive action, should the need arise. Imagine going around a sharp blind corner when suddenly coming from the opposite direction is someone half way in your lane. Now imagine that the lane you're in is not protected by a barrier and the drop to the ocean is only a few of hundred feet. Do you still want to explore hwy 1 in northern California? How about the next Ride to Remember fellas.

Finally, the road relaxes west of Eureka and I can take a breather. Actually, I am starting to find this rather boring. But not for long. Shortly after I enter Oregon I turn off onto Interstate 84 which follows the Columbia river gorge. The ride is somewhat relaxing while the scenery is spectacular. I took some time to explore the historical US 30 with its white picket barriers, Gothic bridges and several spectacular water falls. I am now resting in a small town, Connell, WA in preparation for tomorrow's ascent to the Glacier National Park - Highway to the Sun. Weather permitting, that is.

So, today is Friday the 13Th. I wonder how many of you will do the pilgrimage to Port Dover. Sadly, our friend Les wasn't able to make it. After six weeks, his steed is still sitting at Brian Olsen's shop having it's engine overhauled. Now, our sadly missed Paul wouldn't put up with this nonsense. He would burn the bike down, just like he did his LT, and take Brian's garage with it.
























1 comment:

  1. Judy, our thoughts are with you.

    And if I go,
    While you're still here...
    Know that I live on.
    Vibrating to a different measure,
    Behind a veil you cannot see through,
    You will not see me,
    So you must have faith.
    I wait for the time we can soar together again,
    Both aware of each other,
    Until then, live your life to the fullest,
    And when you need me,
    Just whisper my name in your heart.
    I will be there...

    "O" and LadyBug

    ReplyDelete