Thursday, August 5, 2010

I suppose that you are all waiting patiently for my latest posting. My apologies. My mind was preoccupied with less important things.

Tuesday did not turn out as planned. With my bike loaded I headed for my usual randez-vous at Starbucks for a quick fix and a schmooze with buddies, before heading for the final day of Shiva at Judy's. I don't know what made me look at the front tire, but there it was, a fat screw planted right smack in the middle. In frustration, I decided to pull the sucker out. Under normal circumstances that would have been a bad move, but I was lucky. The screw did not penetrate the tire and therefore did not cause an immediate leak. However, knowing how important tires are to ensure safe operation of the bike, I decided to replace the tire. My trusty mechanic, Brian Olsen, in Georgetown was able to accommodate me. After a hefty breakfast - thank you Judy - and the Rabbi's kind words, we went for the traditional walk around the block in a symbolic gesture to bring the family out of morning and into the community. At the end, the small but well meaning group departed and quickly scattered in different directions. That left Ken and me heading west to Brian's for a quick tire change. At 2:30 we left for the US border. Paul would have approved.

Surprisingly, by early evening we reached Flint, MI. Ken with the help of his connections booked us into the Marriott Suites at an amazing $45. From now on I want to travel with Ken. That evening, the dinner at Tee Bonez Tavern on lake Ponemah in Fenton, near Flint, was excellent, and so were the waitresses in bikinis. The steaks we ordered were garnished with caramelized onions and sun dried tomatoes, and were accompanied with mixed string beans done to perfection. Paul would have approved.

Next morning Ken and I separated. Ken motored back to Toronto and I headed directly into heavy rain and gusty winds of Illinois. by the time I got to Davenport , Iowa I was exhausted.

This morning (5:30am) I am off for Sturgis, SD, a distance of about 800 miles. This was the easiest 800 miles I remember, filled with magnificent sunshine, blue skies, sweet smelling prairie fields and hordes of bikers travelling to and from the Sturgis mecca. I am here and Paul would have approved.

2 comments:

  1. Walter,

    I don't know if you know this - but Davenport, Iowa is where 'Toasty nee Tipsy RIP' (Paul's LT) met her fiery end. Paul would indeed approve.

    If you remember I went to Buffalo to pick him up at the airport. Those were our early days.

    Thanks for the call - please keep calling - it makes me feel better.

    Enjoy Sturgis, the waitresses in bikinis, the wet t-shirt contest, and whatever else you boys did in Sturgis. I believe I got the sanitized version.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's why Ken came home with such a big smile on his face!! Never did hear about the waitresses in bikinis. lol

    How fitting you would stop in Davenport. Funny how things happen.

    Enjoy Sturgis and all its debauchery. Paul would indeed approve.

    Pen

    ReplyDelete